Building Permit Application Submittal Procedures
A Building Permit is required to enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, move a lot line, change the occupancy of an existing building or structure, and to construct a new building or structure. Also required to erect or repair decks, in-ground and above grade swimming pools, fences exceeding 7 feet, and retaining walls over 3 feet high.
WHO CAN APPLY:
Pursuant to Section 29-263 of the Connecticut General Statutes, application for a permit shall be made by the owner of the property or by an authorized agent.
If authorized agent is a licensed contractor, provisions of the Connecticut General Statutes Section 20-338b shall be followed.
Note: It is the property owner's responsibility to ensure their contractors have permits.
BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION PROCEDURES:
Until further notice the following procedures are in place:
All applications are to be submitted electronically by email to Building@BridgeportCT.Gov. All required and supporting documents are to be submitted in PDF format along with the building application.
Provide the Following:
- Select “Application for Building Permit” and complete the application [Include Value of Work and email addresses] Note: Applications are in a fillable format and do not require printing or scanning (unless if printed and information is handwritten) Note: If printed a PDF copy will need to be made of the Application
2. Required documents to be submitted with building permit application:
- Copy of Workers’ Compensation Insurance Certificate
- Copy of Home Improvement Contractor, New Home Contractors or Major Contractors registration card.
Note: If property owner or a sole proprietor is acting as the contractor, a signed & notarized affidavit is required.
- Site plan or plot plan showing locations of structures and work on the property
3. Typical supporting documents to be submitted as applicable:
- Detailed written scope of work [removed, new, types & sizes of materials to be used, attachment method, etc.]
- Detailed construction drawings or sketches, minimum required floor plan showing locations of work. (Please provide Roof Covering-Scope of Work for roof permits)
- Copies of manufacturer's material data sheets, specifications and other Information
- Special inspection and testing as required by State Building Code, Sections 1704 and 1705. [Statement of Special Inspections]
- Copies of all applicable pre-Approvals or Permits from: Federal Government, State of Connecticut and/or State of Connecticut or City of Bridgeport Historical Commission.
- Architect and/or engineer's seal and signature on all plans as provided by State Building Code 2018, Section 107.1
4. Once the application is complete and PDF copies are made of the required and supporting documentation, submit by email to email@example.com
Per City Ordinance 15.08.020 - No Permits can be issued by the Building Department if there are delinquent Property Taxes and/or WPCA Sewer User Fees.
CONSULT THESE RESOURCES FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
Building Energy Codes Program: REScheck and COMcheck
Connecticut State Building Code
Request for Modification of the State Building Code
Work Exempt from Building Permit
Call Before You Dig 811.com
45 Lyon Terrace, Room 222
Bridgeport, CT 06604