Mayor Joseph P. Ganim
For Immediate Release
July 25, 2018
For More information:
Av Harris (203) 814-7992
Mayor Ganim Praises Hard Work of Bridgeport Legislative Delegation for Securing More Than $10 Million in State Bonding Investment
Nearly $7 Million Allocated For Barnum Museum, Over $2.6 Million for Bridgeport Schools and $1.8 Million to Discovery Museum
Bridgeport, CT – Mayor Ganim today is praising the hard work of the Bridgeport Legislative Delegation for securing over $10 million in state bonding investment for various cultural institutions and schools in the city. Authorization for the bonding funds was approved today by the state bond commission in Hartford. The funds will be used for aid in renovations, improvements and site deficiencies for the following locations: Barnum Museum, Discovery Museum, Barnum, Cesar Batalla School, Geraldine R. Johnson School, Waltersville Elementary School as well as the Achievement First, Capital Prep Harbor and The Bridge Charter Schools.
“These bond funds represent a significant investment in cultural institutions in our city as well as our city schools,” said Mayor Ganim. “This investment was only made possible by the hard work of our state representatives and our two state senators. I salute our legislative delegation for their diligence and dedication to the city of Bridgeport in securing these funds - especially during difficult budget times. Clearly, we still have more work to do because there are major economic development projects worthy of state support for which we are seeking investment partnership with the state. Making these projects and infrastructure improvements a reality has the potential to add significant momentum to the revitalization of our downtown as well as improve the quality of life for neighborhood residents on the east and west sides of Bridgeport. Investing in the state’s largest city will also help attract businesses to locate here, and I look forward to working with our legislators and leadership in the General Assembly to make these investments happen during the next legislative session.”
Breakdown in State Bonding is as follows:
- Grant-in-aid for improvements to various Commissioners’ Network Schools. Projects will include alterations, repairs, improvements, technology and equipment to help address building and site deficiencies, and to promote the health, safety, and learning of the students.
- Bridgeport - Barnum, Batalla, Geraldine Johnson and Waltersville Schools
- Grant-in-aid to assist Charter Schools with capital improvements and repayment of debt as detailed below.
- Achievement First Bridgeport Academy – Bridgeport – Debt repayment
- Capital Prep Harbor – Bridgeport – Window, HVAC/electrical replacement
- The Bridge – Bridgeport – Exterior improvements and oil tank removal
- Grant-in-aid to the Discovery Museum in Bridgeport to assist with renovations and improvements.
- This project includes upgrades to the planetarium, improvements to exhibit, classroom and theater spaces, HVAC and energy conservation improvements, elevator upgrades and replacement of the roof on the Wonder Workshop building.
- Grant-in-aid to the Barnum Museum in Bridgeport.
- Assist with design and construction of infrastructure repairs and improvements, ongoing building stabilization and site improvements.