Skip to content


1/12/2015 - Bridgeport Firefighters, AMR Medics Make Special Delivery

Bridgeport, Conn (Jan. 12, 2015) – Firefighters and AMR Medics made a second house call to a Lee Avenue address today.

The first visit was early Friday, when they unexpectedly delivered an 8 pound, 13-ounce boy in a first- floor bedroom

On Monday, they returned to check to make sure mom and her baby boy were doing ok.

“We talk a lot about our first responders keeping our kids and families safe in Bridgeport,” said Mayor Bill Finch. “On Friday, they did more than that. They brought a new life into our community. And then they cared enough to come back today to visit their special delivery. As a parent, as mayor and as a father, I can’t thank them enough for what they do every day.”

In the living room Monday, the grandmother of baby Ja’Khi asked the medics and firefighters from Engine 3 to pose for with pictures with the family.

“I so grateful they were here,” the grandmother said. “These are for his photo album.”

Click here for pictures:

Mother Tyisha Rodriguez didn’t realize she was in labor until her water broke. She called 911. Acting Lt. David Lenart, Pumper Engineer Sheilyan Vega and Firefighters Jesse Seto and Ryan Kane rushed over to the Lee Avenue address. The situation quickly became clear.

“Imminent labor,” Lenart said. It might sound strange in a profession where people run into burning buildings, but by Lenart’s account “imminent labor” is one of the most nerve-racking calls for firefighters.

AMR Paramedic Scott Worcester and EMT Nancy Chelgren arrived a short time later.

Within a minute or two, the baby had crowned. The firefighters worked to reassure the mother and retrieve whatever supplies the medics needed.

The scene intensified when Worcester discovered that the umbilical cord was around the baby’s neck. He freed the child and the medics suctioned his mouth. And again. Ja’Khi started breathing.

It was the first time in six years that Worcester had delivered a baby. He said it is an “awesome” feeling to bring a child into this world.

“We worked to assist the medics,” said Lenart. “Mom did most of the work. We were just there helping.”

It felt good, Vega said, to be able to visit the newborn and mom. Firefighters don’t often have that opportunity with medical patients. It may not be the last time they see each other, since Vega invited the family to stop by the firehouse to take pictures with the baby in a fire truck.