Frequently Asked Questions

How can I pay my tax bill?
The most convenient way to pay your tax bill is by mail. If you wish to have a receipt returned to you, please send the entire tax bill (both portions) and a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. We will not send back your receipt if you fail to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.

During collection periods only (July and January) , taxpayers may pay their current tax bills (no back taxes) at any Fairfield County branch of People’s Bank. You do not have to be a customer in order to pay there. Bring your entire bill and your payment. The bank will stamp your portion of the bill and forward the remaining portion to the Tax Collector’s Office to update your account. To pay online, click the link for the type of tax you will be paying:
What happens if I pay late?

Taxes are due on July 1, payable by August 1. You have a one month “grace” period in which to pay without penalty. If August 1 falls on a Sunday, you will have until August 2 in which to pay, in person or by mail. Bills in the amount of $100 or less are due in a single installment at this time. Bills in excess of $100 are due in two installments. The second installment of these bills will come due January 1, payable by February 1.

Past due payments are subject to interest at the rate of one and one half percent per month from the due date of the tax (July 1), as required by state law. Payments made on August 2 or later, including payments postmarked August 2 and later, are considered past due and will incur 1.5% interest per month dating back to July 1. Payments bearing a postmark of August 1 are considered timely. The City is required by law to accept the postmark as the date of payment.

Can the interest on my tax bill be waived?

No. The Tax Collector does not have the authority to waive interest and makes no exceptions. As owners of property, taxpayers are responsible to see the taxes are paid when due.

What if I never received a tax bill?

Failure to receive a tax bill does not exempt you from payments of all taxes and all interest charges. If you do not receive a bill for which you are responsible, call the Tax Collector’s Office at (203) 576-7271 to request a copy or you can access your bill on the City’s website at On the right hand side of the home page, you will see a menu item which reads "Tax Bill Payment." Follow that link.

Can I pay my taxes at my local bank?

During collection periods only (July and January), taxpayers may pay their current tax bills (no back taxes) at any Fairfield County branch of People’s United Bank. You do not have to be a customer in order to pay there. Bring your entire bill and your payment. The bank will stamp your portion of the bill and forward to the Tax Collector’s Office the remaining portion to update your account.

I disposed of my old vehicle last year and still got a tax bill on the old vehicle; do I have to pay for it?

Yes. If you replaced one vehicle with another, and used the same license plate, you will receive a pro-rated Supplemental Motor Vehicle tax bill in January for the new vehicle. You will receive a credit on the supplemental bill for the amount you pay now on the old vehicle. You will receive this credit without having to apply for it. However, you still must pay the entire amount due on the old vehicle. If you obtained new license plates for the new vehicle, you must apply for a credit. Please contact the Assessor’s office at (203) 576-7242. Please do not ignore the bill if you receive one.

I need to register my car. What do I need from the Tax Collector’s office?

If you owe delinquent property taxes on any vehicle in your name, you may not renew any registrations or register a new vehicle at the Department of Motor Vehicles without paying your taxes first. All past due taxes in your name must be paid in full by cash, cashier’s check, credit card, or money order for a clearance.

I have moved. What is my tax jurisdiction for motor vehicle taxes?

Your tax City is the City of residency as of October 1. If you move from Bridgeport after October 1 but still reside in Connecticut, you will still pay vehicle taxes to Bridgeport. Municipalities within Connecticut do not apportion motor vehicle tax bills for portions of a tax year. You need to also change your address on your registration at DMV. If you register the vehicle in another state, please contact the Assessor’s Office at (203) 576-7242.

What are the hours of operation for the Tax Collector’s Office?

The Tax Collector’s Office, located in the Bridgeport City Hall, 45 Lyon Terrace, Bridgeport, CT 06604, is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm. We have extended hours the last week of July and January. See our main page for details.


Residents with delinquent motor vehicle taxes have been issued warrants. These warrants enable the City to “boot” the vehicles stated on the warrant. The vehicle will be released once the tax payer has paid all bills in their name. There is a $95.00 boot fee added to the tax bill. The car will be towed within 12-24 hours. It will automatically be towed if it is found that the boot has been tampered with. Once the bill has been paid, the resident will be informed where their car has been towed to. There is an additional fee for the towing and nightly storage by the towing company. For tax bills over $500, the vehicle can be towed on the spot.

Additional Links

Contact Information

Veronica Jones
Tax Collector
Tax Collection
45 Lyon Terrace Room 123 Bridgeport, CT 06604

Phone: (203) 576-7271
Fax: (203) 332-5628 

Click here to Email Me