The role of the City Attorney is to:
- Provide legal advice and representation, on City-related matters, to the City, its officers, employees, municipal agencies, boards, and commissions, including issuing legal opinions, reviewing legal documents, drafting contracts and ordinances.
- Prosecute and defend civil actions brought in any state or federal court or before any administrative board or agency to which the City and/or its officers or employees are a party in their official capacity.
- Provide collection services to the City’s Tax Collector and the Water Pollution Control Authority (WPCA) in support of collection of arrears real property, personal property, and motor vehicle taxes and WPCA sewer user fees and assessments.
- Perform various City risk management functions in conjunction with the City’s Department of Finance, including the assessment of insurance requirements.
- Supervise the City’s legal matters, including those for which the office has engaged the services of outside legal counsel.
The Office of the City Attorney is NOT authorized to provide legal advice or assistance to third-parties, including individual residents or taxpayers of the City or their legal representatives.